This morning I had the privilege of sharing some of my favourite British Columbian 2010 music releases on CBC Radio 1’s NXNW, with the wonderful Sheryl MacKay.
It’s a thrill to realize just how much great music is coming out of my home province.
Hands-down my pick for Album of the Year, period, from any location, is Versicolour, by singer-songwriter Aidan Knight. It’s a work of art, really, from start to finish. Every single song continues to surprise me with subtleties and wondrous little moments, even after dozens of listens, and the final track, Jasper, was unquestionably the anthem of the year in our household. I can’t wait to hear more from this promising young artist.
Here are some of my other favourites:
- Adam Thomas – For My Love – divine vocal jazz
- Hannah Georgas – This is Good – punchy and irresistible pop
- Reid Jamieson – Staring Contest – what a voice, and great lyrics
- Brasstronaut – Mount Chimaera – gorgeous textures
- The Crackling – Keep Full Ambitious – under-the-radar goodness
- Kathryn Calder – Are You My Mother? – excellent solo debut
- We Are The City – In a Quiet World – progressive and catchy